PennEnvironment Endorses Environmental Defenders
With the polluter lobby spending historic amounts of campaign cash on this election, it is more important than ever that Pennsylvania voters support those candidates who share our environmental values and who will protect our air, our water, our special places and our families’ health. On November 6th, the choice for Pennsylvanians and the planet is clear. We believe all of the following strong environmental candidates deserve our vote.
President Barack Obama - Better for the environment.
President Barack Obama has aggressively protected families’ health by tackling pollution that threatens the quality of our air and our water. He has advanced policies to dramatically reduce our dependence on oil and has doubled the nation’s reliance on clean renewable energy. To move America toward a clean energy future, to protect our environment and health, and to ensure the U.S. does our part to combat global warming, President Barack Obama gets PennEnvironment’s enthusiastic support.
United States Senate
Bob Casey, Jr. - Better for the environment.
Senator Casey has been a strong supporter of protecting our environment and defending against threats to the public’s health. During his time in the U.S. Senate, Senator Casey has been a constant environmental champion, receiving a 94% on the PennEnvironment scorecard. During the current session, Senator Casey has voted numerous times to defend the Clean Air Act from attacks, and has been a lead sponsor on the FRAC Act to remove exemptions for gas drilling companies from basic public health protections. For these reasons, Senator Casey receives PennEnvironment’s endorsement in 2012.
U.S. House of Representatives - Pennsylvania District 13
Allyson Schwartz - Better for the environment.
Since first being elected to Congress, Representative Allyson Schwartz has been one of the most supportive champions of environmental policy in the U.S. Congress. From introducing policies to strengthen our environmental standards to consistently voting to promote clean air, clean water and preserve Pennsylvania’s—and America’s—incredible natural heritage. This includes working tirelessly to tackle one of the most profound environmental issues facing the planet, climate change. For all of these reasons, PennEnvironment endorses Rep. Allyson Schwartz for re-election.
U.S. House of Representatives - Pennsylvania District 8
Kathy Boockvar - Better for the environment.
PennEnvironment proudly endorses Kathy Boockvar for Pennsylvania’s 8th Congressional District. Ms. Boockvar has been a vocal champion of protecting our environment and strong environmental policies. This includes her vocal support for clean water, closing existing environmental loopholes for gas drillers, and addressing global warming. Kathy Boockavar will be a crucial part of the new leadership in our nation’s capital who will take on these difficult issues and enact meaningful reforms. She has the experience, commitment and leadership essential to move Congress toward environmental solutions. PennEnvironment and Environment America support Kathy Boockavar for Congress in the 8th District because we need legislators who will act for our environment in both the long and short term.
U.S. House of Representatives - Pennsylvania District 17
Matt Cartwright - Better for the environment.
Matt Cartwright is guaranteed to be a top environmental champion for Pennsylvania’s 17th Congressional District when elected to the U.S. House of Representatives. Mr. Cartwright has advocated aggressively for closing loopholes that exempt Marcellus Shale gas drilling from the Safe Drinking Water Act, the Clean Water Act and the Clean Air Act. He has publicly applauded the decision by the Pennsylvania state courts to overturn provisions of Act 13—Pennsylvania’s controversial and disastrous gas drilling law. To address global warming and reduce our reliance on oil, Matt has been a vocal supporter of improved public transportation systems. PennEnvironment is confident that Matt Cartwright’s leadership in Congress will lead to a healthier environment for his constituents—and for all Pennsylvanians. For these reasons, PennEnvironment proudly endorses Matthew Cartwright for the U.S. House of Representatives.
U.S. House of Representatives - Pennsylvania District 6
Manan Trivedi - Better for the environment.
As a doctor, Manan Trivedi is acutely aware of the need for strong policies that will protect our environment—as well as our health. Manan has championed numerous policies that will help defend Pennsylvanians against dangerous gas drilling, reduce air and water pollution, and implement federal policies to tackle climate change. Electing Manan Trivedi is critical to moving America forward on protecting our local streams and stimulating national action on critical environmental issues such as global warming. For these reasons, PennEnvironment proudly endorses Manan Trivedi for the U.S. House of Representatives.
U.S. House of Representatives - Pennsylvania District 11
Gene Stilp - Better for the environment.
PennEnvironment endorses Gene Stilp for the U.S. House of Representatives. When it comes to putting your money where your mouth is and being an active citizen in the democratic process, there are few who have put in as much elbow grease as Gene Stilp. Known across the Commonwealth for his ongoing activism to fight for justice, tackle pollution, and promote good government policies, Gene has made personal sacrifice for the greater good. Most recently, Gene has actively fought to tackle environmental pollution from Marcellus Shale gas drilling in the Commonwealth. And Gene was chosen as one of the Philadelphia Inquirer’s three “Citizens of the Year” in 2005. With such a track record of public service to improve our state and stand up for every-day Pennsylvanians in the David vs. Goliath fights that inevitably arise in politics, PennEnvironment is proud to endorse Gene Stilp for Congress.
Pennsylvania State Senate
- Sen. Larry Farnese for the 1st District (Philadelphia);
- Sen. Shirley Kitchen for the 3rd District (Philadelphia)
- Sen. Mike Stack for the 5th District (Philadelphia);
- Sen. Judy Schwank for the 11sth District (Berks County);
- Rob Teplitz for the open seat in the 15th District (Harrisburg area);
- Sen. Daylin Leach for the 17th District (parts of Montgomery and Delaware counties);
- Sen. Andy Dinniman for the 19th District (parts of Chester and Montgomery counties);
- Matt Smith for the open PA-37 seat (Pittsburgh-area);
- Challenger Kimberly Villela for the 47th Senate District (Allegheny, Beaver and Lawrence counties);
- Sean Wiley for the open PA-49 seat (Erie);
Pennsylvania State House of Representatives
- Rep. Pat Harkins for the 1st District (Erie);
- Ryan Bizzarro for the 3rd District (Erie);
- Eric Schott for the 13th District (Chester County);
- Rep. Dan Frankel for the 23rd District (Pittsburgh);
- Rep. Steve Santarsiero for the 31st District (Bucks County);
- Rep. Frank Dermody for the 33rd District (Allegheny County);
- David Levdansky for the 39th District (Allegheny County);
- Rep. Matt Bradford for the 70th District (Montgomery County):
- Rick Mirabito for the 83rd District (Williamsport);
- Rep. Eugene DePasquale for the 95th District (York);
- Rep. Mike Sturla for the 96th District (Lancaster):
- Rep. Phyllis Mundy for the 120th District (Pittston);
- Kevin Deely for the 131st District (Lehigh Valley);
- Rep. Steve Samuelson for the 135th District (Bethlehem);
- Rep. Bob Freeman for the 136th District (Easton);
- Rep. Tim Briggs for the 149th District (Montgomery County);
- Will Sylianteng for the 151st District (Bucks and Montgomery counties);
- Rep. Elect Steve McCarter for the 154th District (Montgomery County)
- Bret Binder for the 156th District (Chester County);
- Paul Drucker for the 157th District (Chester and Montgomery counties);
- Larry DeMarco for the 161st District (Delaware County);
- Sheamus Bonner for the 163rd District (Delaware County);
- Rep. Margo Davidson for the 164th District (Delaware County);
- Rep. Greg Vitali for the 166th District (Haverford);
- Rep. Brendan Boyle for the 170th District (Philadelphia);
- Rep. Mike McGeehan for the 173rd District (Philadelphia);
- Rep. Elect Brian Simms for 182nd District (Philadelphia);
- Liz Forrest for the 189th District (Monroe County);
- Rep. Vanessa Lowery Brown for the 190th District (Philadelphia);
- Rep. Pam Delissio for the 194th District (Philadelphia);